The Netherlands Presidency of the Council of the EU (the Presidency) has published its work programme for 1 January to 30 June 2016.
Among other things, in its work programme the Presidency notes that:
- it will include the European Commission’s (the Commission) proposed Regulation on a European deposit insurance scheme on the Council’s agenda and ensure that extra measures required to complete the Banking Union are developed further;
- it might be able to complete the two Regulations on securitisation referred to in the Commission’s Capital Markets Union action plan;
- trialogue negotiations on the proposed Regulation on banking structural reform will begin as soon as the European Parliament has determined its position;
- the Commission is expected to put forward a legislative proposal for a recovery and resolution framework for central counterparties; and
- the Financial transaction tax may be discussed if the leading group of Member States that opted for closer cooperation in this area agree on a proposal for a Directive.
View Programme of the Netherlands Presidency of the Council of the European Union, 7 January 2016