On 22 October 2018, the Payment Systems Regulator (PSR) published Specific Direction 8 requiring the adoption of appropriate policies and measures and reporting obligations regarding protected ATMs (LINK) (the Direction).
The Direction offers clarity and guidance to operators of LINK on:
- the identification of protected ATMs;
- the requirement to develop and adopt appropriate policies and measures;
- the minimum requirements in relation to the LINK commitment (summarised in paragraphs 1.3-1.5 of the Direction);
- the timeline for and reporting on the development and implementation of the policies and measures;
- the ATM replacement procedure;
- the variation or revoking of measures; and
- the LINK operator’s monitoring and reporting requirements.
The Direction came into force on 19 October 2018 and will continue until 2 January 2022 unless varied or revoked by the PSR. It is subject to review in October 2019.