On 27 September 2018, the Payment Systems Regulator (PSR) published Draft Specific Direction 8 requiring the adoption of appropriate policies and measures and reporting obligations regarding protected ATMs (LINK) (the Direction).
LINK is a network of Card Issuers and ATM providers that allows cardholders to use their cards to withdraw cash at any ATM connected to the LINK Network where the ATM provider is not the same institution as the cardholder’s issuing bank.
The Direction follows on from the LINK commitment of 31 January 2018 produced by the LINK Board (the Commitment) summarised in paragraphs 1.3 – 1.5 of the Direction. The Direction provides instructions to operators of LINK on, amongst other things:
- the identification of protected ATMs;
- the requirement to adopt appropriate policies and measures;
- the minimum requirements in relation to the Commitment;
- the timeline for and reporting on the development and implementation of the policies and measures;
- the ATM replacement procedure; and
- monitoring and reporting requirements.