On 27 March 2019, the Payment Systems Regulator (PSR) published its annual plan and budget for 2019 – 2020. Amongst other things, the PSR intends to conduct work over the coming year on issues that include:
- protecting people from authorised push payment scams and the implementation of confirmation of payee;
- access to cash through ATMs and longer term sustainable access to payment methods;
- a market review into card-acquiring services to make sure the supply of these services is working well for merchants, and ultimately consumers;
- overseeing the delivery of the new payments architecture to produce good outcomes for payment systems users;
- continuing to make sure access to payment systems is fair and transparent, enabling participants to provide new and innovative products and services; and
- on-going to work with HM Treasury, the Bank of England and Financial Conduct Authority to prepare for Brexit.