On 18 June 2019, the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) published a speech by its chair, Steven Maijoor, on data and work to improve the quality and availability of data in the context of both supervisory reporting and financial reporting.
In his speech Mr Maijoor:
- discusses how ESMA’s data strategy has evolved in recent times and what the relevant outcomes are;
- briefly looks at relevant international developments to which ESMA is actively contributing;
- presents ESMA’s current work on reporting under the Securities Financing Transactions Regulation where it is actively working on turning the data into intelligence for authorities and useful information to the public;
- shares ESMA’s objectives and expectations regarding the implementation of the European Single Electronic Format for financial reporting; and
- provides some practical examples of the use of data by ESMA and national authorities for supervisory purposes.