The European Banking Authority (EBA) has published a discussion paper on future draft regulatory technical standards (RTS) relating to strong customer authentication and secure communication under the revised Payment Services Directive (PSD2).
The EBA is mandated to deliver the draft RTS by January 2017 and has thus issued the discussion paper to obtain early input into the development process.
The discussion paper invites views on:
- issues related to strong customer authentication;
- the exemptions to the application of strong customer authentication;
- the protection of the personalised security credentials of the payment service users;
- the requirements for common and secure open standards of communication; and
- possible synergies with the Regulation on electronic identification and trust services for electronic transactions in the internal market (e-IDAs Regulation).
The deadline for comments on the consultation paper is 8 February 2016. The publication of the subsequent consultation paper with the draft RTS is expected in Q2 2016.
View EBA seeks input on strong customer authentication and secure communication under PSD2, 9 December 2015