On 18 November 2021, a letter was published to the European Banking Authority (EBA) alongside a call for advice regarding the review of the revised Payment Services Directive (PSD2).
The review clause in Article 108 of the PSD2 requires the European Commission to report on the application and impact of the Directive to the European Parliament and Council, the European Central Bank and the European Economic and Social Committee.
The Commission services invited the EBA to provide advice on the impact and application of the following areas of the PSD2:
- scope and definitions;
- licencing of payment institutions and supervision of payment service providers under PSD2;
- transparency of conditions and information requirements;
- rights and obligations;
- strong customer authentication;
- access to and use of payment accounts data in relation to payment initiation services and account information services;
- access to payment systems and access to accounts maintained with a credit institution;
- core-sectoral topics; and
- enforcement of PSD2.
The EBA is requested to deliver its advice to the Commission services by 30 June 2022.