The Basel Committee on Banking Supervision has published FAQs on the Basel III countercyclical capital buffer.
The FAQs are grouped under six headings, namely:
- national buffer decisions;
- jurisdictional reciprocity;
- identification and calculation of geographic credit exposures;
- calculation of the final bank-specific buffer add-on;
- public disclosure requirements; and
- timing and frequency of changes in the buffer rates.
The countercyclical capital buffer regime will be phased-in in parallel with the capital conservation buffer between 1 January 2016 and end-2018, becoming fully effective on 1 January 2019.
View Frequently asked questions on the Basel III Countercyclical Capital Buffer, 19 October 2015