The South African Information Regulator published draft regulations under the Protection of Personal Information Act 2013 (POPI) for public comment by 7 November 2017.
The regulations cover various procedural items, including:
- the manner of objecting to the processing of personal information;
- requests for correction or deletion of personal information;
- the application form for industry codes of conduct;
- requests for a data subject’s consent to electronic direct marketing;
- submitting complaints or grievances; and
- the proceedings during investigations and assessments.
They also expand on the duties of information officers in entities processing information.
Written comments must be sent for the attention of Ms M Mphelo by 7 November 2017, either by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to:
The Information Regulator
Private Bag X81
Publication of the draft regulations is the next step towards enforcement of POPI, which affects every organisation operating in South Africa. If you have not yet started your POPI implementation project, now is the time to ask us how to do so.
These regulations will affect you. Read them and see if you need to comment.